At our 2021 annual meeting and dinner, the Maine State Chamber honored the lives and legacies of two generous and humble Maine leaders for their accomplishments, investments, and profound contributions throughout our great state. Maine philanthropist Harold Alfond has made many significant contributions to the betterment of Mainers well beyond his 93 years of life. Likewise, we also remember business leader and civic icon David Flanagan for his countless contributions to business and civic causes.
SAVE THE DATE!
Our 2022 Annual Dinner and Gubernatorial Debate
will be held on the evening of Thursday, October 27, 2022, live from Portland's Holiday Inn by the Bay and televised on News Center Maine!
Thank you to all
who helped make
our 2021 Annual Dinner
Watch the recording
of our October 28 Annual Meeting.
Program starts at 06:30 minutes.
Governor Mills' remarks
begin at 08:00 minutes.
Board chair Clif Greim
offers comments at 13:45.
Keynote address by Greg Powell
begins at approx. 17:30.
Dirigo Awards presented at 36:00.
Harold Alfond tribute video
appears at 46:00.
David Flanagan tribute video
appears at 53:30.
Remembering David Flanagan
Our 2021 Annual Dinner program featured a video celebrating the contributions and investments of the late David Flanagan.
We also honored business leader David Flanagan with a video tribute at this year’s dinner meeting. David Flanagan’s leadership spanned decades, including serving as Central Maine Power Company’s chief executive during the landmark 1998 ice storm. He later lent his “turnaround” expertise to several other organizations, most recently stepping out of retirement to return to CMP as executive chairman. David and his wife, Kaye, have made significant philanthropic contributions to Maine and Maine people, and we are excited to share what many leaders close to David shared with us about his impact on them and on Maine.
The Legacy of Harold Alfond
In addition to being honored at our annual dinner meeting, we are pleased to pay tribute to Harold Alfond as the centerpiece of the third edition of OneVoice Maine magazine, which will debut at our annual dinner meeting on October 28.
OneVoice Maine Magazine: Remembering a Maine Icon | Harold Alfond
One year ago, the Maine State Chamber of Commerce launched OneVoice Maine magazine. Through OneVoice Maine, we seek to recognize and honor the contributions that Maine businesses and Maine business leaders make to Maine’s economy and workforce; to their communities, people, families and youth; and, to preserving Maine’s natural beauty, abundant resources, and more. Those contributions, as well as the businesses and leaders behind them, add to the quality of life and quality of place that help make Maine a unique and vibrant place to live and work. We are honored to tell their stories in OneVoice Maine.
FALL 2021 THIRD EDITION: In this edition, we are pleased to honor philanthropist Harold Alfond for his many contributions during his lifetime and in his legacy through the Harold Alfond Foundation. Harold Alfond’s vision, generosity, and commitment to Maine continues to have an enormous impact on our state, giving Mainers a source of hope; access to education, health care, and connections; and ultimately, great promise for better lives. Every project supported by the Alfond Foundation still values collaboration, teamwork, and community involvement.
Photos from our 2021 Annual Meeting
It has been a privilege to celebrate the lives and contributions of Harold Alfond and David Flanagan. We thank everyone who made the 2021 Annual Meeting possible,
especially these generous sponsors:
especially these generous sponsors:
- Cornerstone Sponsors: Comcast; Hydro Quebec US; IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.; Maine Yankee; Northeastern University - The Roux Institute; Pierce Atwood LLP; Unum
- Awards Sponsors: Poland Spring Water Company; Serra Public Affairs
- Welcome Reception Sponsors: MEMIC; Preti Flaherty, LLP
- Senior Sponsors: Bangor Savings Bank; Cross Insurance; Maine DECD; University of New England
- Corporate Sponsors: Bernstein Shur; CIANBRO; Consolidated Communications; Dead River Company; Enbridge; Hammond Lumber Company; Hannaford Supermarkets; Husson University; James W. Sewall Co.; KeyBank Maine; The Jackson Laboratory; Versant Power
- Contributing Sponsors: AT&T; Eaton Peabody; MaineHealth
- Supporting Sponsors: AmeriHealth Caritas; American Chemistry Council; Garrand Moehlenkamp; Harvard Pilgrim Health Care; MaineGeneral Health; Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority; WIPFLi, LLP
- Student Scholarship Sponsors: Casella Waste Systems, Inc.; Mitchell Tardy Jackson Government Affairs; Sargent Corporation; The Sheridan Corporation; Texas Instruments; Thomas College; Unitil Corp.; USM